Friday, December 11, 2009

Family Connections...



The thing I've struggled with for the past year is: Why Me? Why this weird disease? I don't really understand how I could go from eating perfectly normal foods to all of a suddenly dealing with massive sickness and other ugly things from eating even a tiny bit of gluten. The worst is when I think I'm being "good" and find out shortly later that there was some hidden gluten somewhere. Such a drag.

I may not ever get all of the answers, but I think I came to at least a bit more understanding. The other day I posted that I wanted a cupcake on Facebook. My new comfort food- Swirlz Cupcakes. They have the most amazing AMAZING (seriously good) Gluten Free Cupcakes. Why do they taste good? BECAUSE THEY DON'T TASTE LIKE THEY'RE GLUTEN FREE. For once, I can feel like a normal human being eating a G*D D*MN cupcake. It's my privledge or something as an American, right?

Back to the story. Having a bad day, craving a cupcake. My aunt sees me on FB today and asks if I got my cupcake. We get into a conversation about how amazing they are, and I like them because they're gluten-free. She mentions that my cousin's son is going to a lot of doctors right now and he can't eat gluten either.

Breakthrough.

I don't wish this on anyone, let alone a little kid. But, this does make me feel better that there is *someone* I'm related to with a similar condition. Kind of establishing the fact that I'm not crazy. Well, I am crazy, but not crazy in that manner. Maybe my symptoms are medically real after all...

Next post is a real-deal brunch evaluation. You've been promised this, I shall deliver!

2 comments:

  1. Swirls is AMAZING! And I totally agree about meing able to eat something that tastes like a "normal" item. I finally found some bread - Great Harvest Bread Co. It's a national chain, but only some have dedicated gluten free days. Also - the new line of Betty Crocker GF desserts is pretty good as long as you follow the mixing directions exactly. It's been almost 4 years, and I still have the "Why me? Why this disease?" days. It does get better and easier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When ya gonna update? :(

    I love what you've written so far!

    MM

    ReplyDelete